I am looking for a place to rent, but the Landlords are hesitant to give me their place on rent.

The Landlord has the right to ask questions and bases their decision on them. But the Questions should be around topics such as

  • Source of income
  • Credit score/report
  • References
  • The number of people who will live in the unit


The Landlord is not allowed to ask personal questions based on

  • Sexual orientation
  • Disability
  • Ethnic Background
  • Food Preferences

Any questions which may amount to discrimination is not allowed by law.


The Landlord is asking me for a rent deposit.

The landlord can take the last month’s rent deposit. However,the landlord cannot demand postdated cheques any amount which is more than a last month’s deposit or damages deposit.


I am unable to pay my rent, and my Landlord has filed a notice(N4) to end my tenancy for non-payment

You can still live in the unit provided you pay the rent owed to the landlord within 14 days from the day you received notice.


I always pay my rent on time but some months I was late, but I still paid within 14 days of the coming month

The Landlord does have the right to evict you by giving an N8 notice for continually being late in providing the rent. However, the Landlord at no time Harasses you at any time. You can report your landlord if he threatens you or cuts of services such as electricity and heating. Enters your Unit and displace your belongings.


My rental unit needs a lot of repairs. For instance, my washing machine and dryer is not working. Do I need to get it fixed myself?

No, it’s not your duty to repair household appliances or repair any damaged part of the property. Your Landlord is responsible for providing you with a space with all necessary equipment such as a working microwave and oven. This includes shared spaces in your residential complex.


Do I need to pay for repairs if I damaged the property or my friends damaged it?

Yes, if it's damaged due to carelessness the landlord can ask you to pay, but items which have undergone gradual wear and tear during your stay doesn’t have to repaired by you. It's best to resolve it by paying the landlord if you sincerely believe it was your fault.  The Landlord has the right to send you an eviction notice if you fail to pay. But if an item was already old and broke down while using, you don’t have to pay for that. The landlord must repair and replace any such item.


My Landlord sent me a notice for causing damages to the property.

If you think the Landlord was reasonable in blaming you for the damages, you can pay for the damaged goods, and the landlord may withdraw his notice. But if he continues with the notice the landlord-tenant board will decide if you should be evicted or not.


I don’t feel safe with the safety locks. Can I change my locks with additional safety feature?

Your safety is important you must request the Landlord to change your locks. Most likely he will change the locks himself. You must take permission from the Landlord before changing the locks. If he agrees you can change the locks and give him a spare key.


Can my Girlfriend/Friend come and stay with me at my unit?

My Landlord is asking for extra rent as my girlfriend likes to spend the weekend with me. Yes, there is no restriction whatsoever if you want to have guests and they are staying with you. There is no law in Ontario which prohibits or limits you to have guests in your unit. Even if you said in the rental agreement that you would be living alone. The Landlord has no right to ask you for extra rent if your friend or girlfriend stayed with you if he does it will amount to harassment.


What if my guest damages my unit?

It’s the tenant’s responsibility in case his guest damages the property or is caught doing something illegal such as drugs. In that case, the responsibility will fall on the tenant. The Landlord can file a notice to end your tenancy through form N5 and give the reason being overcrowding. But the final decision still lies with the board. Having a guest or girlfriend stay with you doesn’t amount to overcrowding



My landlord is evicting me for not paying the rent on time.

If you are being evicted for not paying the rent, you must pay the money you owe him to avoid being evicted.


The landlord has thrown my stuff after evicting me.

It’s your responsibility to make sure to take care of your belongings when you leave. If you have already been evicted, then the landlord may discard your possession as he wishes. Once you are evicted, you lose your right to enter in the unit again.



My Landlord is continuously harassing me. What should I do?

Firstly, you must record all the instances where you feel you have been harassed. Such as keeping a note in a diary and keep a record all the conversations you had with the landlord through text or emails. You can also make a complaint to the Rental Housing Enforcement Unit The Rental Housing Enforcement Unit is an office of the government of Ontario. You can also file a T2 application to the Landlord tenant board, and the board will deal with the issue. If it's serious you must contact the police.


What amounts to Harassment?

If the Landlord has done any of the following, it can amount to harassment.

  •    The Landlord Entered the Unit to inspect without my permission.
  •    The Landlord is continually interfering with your well .being
  •    The Landlord has made sexual comments or advances against you.
  •    The Landlord made discriminatory comments about your sexual orientation, disability or ethnicity.
  •    The Landlord has interfered with your enjoyment of space such as not providing adequate heat in winters.


I am disabled, and I am having difficulties living in the unit.

Landlords must accommodate the disability of the tenant as much as possible in the best of their capacity. A landlord must take steps to ensure they have made all the reasonable steps to ensure the disabled tenant can enjoy the space. My Landlord has increased the rent, and now I can’t afford to live in the unit. The Landlord cannot increase the rent outside the government guidelines which sets a limit to the rent increase. For the year 2018, the rent increase is set at 1.8%.